Hours of Operation:
History and Information:
In 1902, in Sussex County there were very few libraries open to the public. In Seaford, a group of women formed the Acorn Club, an organization designed to improve their community. Their first goal was to establish a public library. The first meeting of the Acorn Club was in a rented room to which each member brought a chair, a book, a cup, and a saucer. They voted to start a library with books from their own homes as well as materials borrowed from the traveling library available through the State Library in Dover. Each member served as librarian for a month until a part-time librarian was hired for $1 a week. And by 1909, there were 404 books in the library's collection.
Service to Seaford's surrounding rural community was met by one of the State's first bookmobiles in 1912. Seaford Librarian Mary Hopkins purchased a touring car, stacked books on the car seats, and visited nearby farms loaning books and magazines.
The Seaford Library continued to grow and was moved several times. The first move was from the room over Milligan's store at the corner of King and Pine Street to the Acorn Club House on Hall Street in 1939. The library moved again to the old Henry White brick building on Pine Street until the completion of the present North Porter Street building in 1963. An addition to the building in 1937 almost doubled its size, adding more room for book shelves and offering a large meeting room for community use.
As of 2010, the library has a collection of over 44,000 books, videos, tapes, and magazines. Library services include outreach programs to local schools, daycares, nursing homes, and children's organizations. In-house presentations and programs include storytimes, an annual children's summer reading series, as well as various children's and adult's programs. The library provides free word-processing, meeting space, and OPAC access to library members.
The Seaford District Library is now located in a new state-of-the-art library located at 600 North Market Street Extended. The facility is 18,000 square feet and features a community meeting room, a conference room, a computer instruction area, as well as other traditional library services.
If you are interested in joining the Seaford District Library capital campaign “Building our Future, Page by Page”, please, call 302-629-2524.
Mary Hopkins served as librarian and owner/driver of the area's first bookmobile in 1912. Fannie Calloway was a member of the Seaford Library Board of Commissioners from 1933 to 1965 and the first trustee in the state to be recognized by the Delaware Library Association (DLA) for outstanding service to the community by working towards establishing a county-wide system for libraries and improving state laws governing libraries.