Hours of Operation:
History and Information:
Since 1909, the town of Laurel has enjoyed a library facility. Around the turn of the century, the Laurel New Century Club established a small library. Initially, the women of the New Century Club staffed the library, processed the books, and provided library services.
From 1909 to 1924, the library was located in the Century Club rooms in the Masonic Hall. The growing library collection was then moved to the Community House across the street from its present site.
In 1932, the New Century Club relinquished management and the Laurel Public Library became affiliated with the Delaware State Library Commission.
The current library, located on East Fourth Street, was built as a memorial to Mary Wootten Carpenter by her husband, Walter Samuel Carpenter, Jr., and their three sons, John, Sam, and Edward (known as Ned). Mary Wootten was born in 1888, and grew up in Laurel. As a young woman, she left Laurel for Wilmington to work as governess for the children of the DuPont family. She eventually married Walter Samuel Carpenter Jr., who went on to become the first non-duPont president of the DuPont Company.
The Laurel Public Library is considered a valuable resource by the local community. The library patrons visit the centrally located library not only to check out books and videos, but to access the Internet and attend special children's and adult programs.
The Laurel Library recently completed a $3.5 million renovation/expansion project.
Walter Samuel Carpenter Jr. and sons, John, Sam, and Edward (Ned) Carpenter, generously donated the present Laurel Library in memory of wife and mother, Mary Wootten Carpenter.