Hours of Operation:
History and Information:
The Frankford Public Library was established in November 1931. The original library was housed in a small shop formerly used by a tinsmith, with $100 from the State of Delaware and only 28 books.
In 1936, when the Frankford Firehouse was built, the library was moved to a larger rent-free room. The library remained in the Firehouse until 1958 when it moved again to a larger room in a nearby bank building. The collection had grown to more than 5,000 books.
Further expansion occurred in 1981, when the First National Bank of Frankford donated the Main Street building to the library. At the same time, the library benefited greatly from a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to update the facilities and increase the collection.
Today, the library continues to be a favorite gathering place for Frankford residents, both young and old. Library staff know members by name and strive to make them feel welcome. Some special features offered by the library include a children's librarian and children's story times.
Mrs. Alice Gum served as librarian from 1931 to 1958. Harry H. Dukes, president of the First National Bank of Frankford, presented the bank building to the library. Senator William V. Roth was instrumental in obtaining funds for the renovations of the new building.