Hours of Operation:
History and Information:
In 1940, the New Century Club, under the leadership of President Mrs. Samuel M. Ellis, recognized the need for a public library facility. The Club enlisted local community support for the project and gained the approval of the Delaware State Library Commission. The Delmar Public Library was formally organized with its first Board of Trustees and was dedicated on April 24, 1940. That first library site was a tiny room, only 12 feet by 15 feet and was located in the Marvel Building on Grove Street.
Very quickly the small room proved inadequate and an adjoining room was acquired, which more than doubled the original space. For the next 30 years, this was the home of the Delmar Public Library.
Then in 1970, when St. Stephen's United Methodist Church opened its community center building at 105 East State Street, the library moved into more spacious quarters. The library claimed 1,836 square feet of space and seating for 27 patrons. The library also increased its hours of service to 46 hours per week.
The current Delmar Public Library facility was built as a memorial to the late Delmar resident, Lyndall C. Hayman, his wife, Virginia, and his son, Robert. Mr. Hayman's will stipulated that a trust fund be established to provide income for the local library. It was his fondest hope that a library building would eventually be constructed.
Additions to the library were dedicated on April 29, 1990. These additions include an expanded reference area, a new children's room, and the Hayman Meeting Room.
Nearly 73 years after the original library was established, the Delmar Public Library has become an increasingly important asset to the town. In addition to a large collection of books, the library offers large-print books, ebooks, magazines, newspapers, DVDs for children and adults, inter-library loans, public access computers, free wi-fi, and fax service, as well as educational and entertainment programs for children, teens, and adults.
The current Delmar Public Library facility was built as a memorial to the late Delmar resident, Lyndall C. Hayman, his wife, Virginia, and his son, Robert.